Knit One, Cable Eight

Monday, October 07, 2013

The waterpipe in my kitchen burst. My overlocker conked out. I had to cook dinner. My weekend disappeared into a flurry of domestic organisation, engagements and appointments. How is it Monday already?


Last week I started knitting a small, soft baby blanket using a pattern from the Debbie Bliss Ultimate Book of Baby Knits. It's going to measure about 80cm x 80cm ... but even that seems a very long way off. I bought this book at last year's Knitting & Stitching show and it has been my most-used purchase! I think everyone is having babies now. Knit, knit, knit. Cardigans, jumpers, booties. I really like knitting baby things as they zip off the stitches in no time at all (after knitting adult-size jumpers, baby things are easy peasy).



This won't be done quite as quickly, but that's okay. The pattern is a 24-row repeat which winds around itself in an easy 8-stitch cable with stripes and a stockinette border.


I mark off each pattern repeat with stitch markers so it's a lot easier to keep the pattern straight. You can quickly see where you've gone wrong if you suddenly have too many stitches (or not enough), and you can fix things in small fifteen-stitch batches as you work your way down the row. LOVE my Lego Stitch Markers.

This is going to be one seriously long-term knitting project. I've already picked up some additional yarn for the next project - a friend is having a little boy in January and his jacket will need to brave the Christmas post rush! Clickety clack.


I'm planning on knitting the Baby Sophisticate Jacket in Rowan Pure Wool Aran in a kind of charcoal grey (bottom left, in the image above). Mm, soft. The cream merino above is set aside for baby booties (for a set of twins, due January) and the blue-green-teal was an impulse buy. Because you can never have too many additional skeins of yarn. Ahem.


You Might Also Like

0 comments