Last-minute sewing

Monday, December 23, 2013


It's true.

Yesterday, I caught up on some last-minute sewing for Christmas. It should have taken an hour or two, but I had to rip out and re-sew two seams, rethread a bobbin twice, and rethread my overlocker - twice.

Keep calm and carry on.


My sewing room is all kinds of cheery this time of year. As the sun sets early, it's dark and snug in this room by around 3pm. All that's missing is a string of fairy lights (not for long). The carnations are looking a bit long in the tooth, but are still quite pretty and surprisingly pink.


I have one must sew gift to make for tomorrow (!) so I thought it best to get started. An on-demand Tea Cosy for granny, to be delivered on Christmas Eve. I made one for her last year, and she requested an addition for her now-growing collection.


Inspired by my messy-but-lovely sewing desk, I made the tea cosy from a rather charming green floral spray upholstery fabric by Clarke & Clarke, and sewed on a faux rose and wool felt leaves. I had enough of the fabric left over to make a sewing machine cover - something that's been on my to-do list for a very long time. It's not quite finished yet as I don't have enough metreage to make the lining. Still, it keeps the dust off!


The tea cosy is lined with a natural linen blend fabric from Walthamstow Market, and bound with pink polka dot IKEA cotton. As you do. I'm going to make up a batch of fudge to go with this, hopefully. Grandad gets whiskey. We're predictable like that.

You Might Also Like

4 comments