In Loving Memory

Monday, December 16, 2013

Dale Panagos
28 September 1994 - 12 December 2013
My precious Dale, my beautiful cousin.

It’s unimaginable to think that you are gone. When I got the phone call, my heart broke into a million tiny fragments, each one containing a happy memory of you. I know that if you were here, you’d hug us all and hand us each a mug of ice-cream, telling us that everything would be fine and that we need to focus on the positive things and move forward. It’s not so easy, Dale, without your smile and your patience to guide us as you so often have done before. It’s so difficult to put into words the loss I feel now, and I know that nothing I say will ever be enough. But still, I’ll put on a brave face and hold on to the things I love about you.



The way you light up a room with your smile, and your calm patience. The way you effortlessly bring joy and happiness to everyone around you, even when you were quite little. Your determination and happy approach to every task. Your warmth and your love.



We had so many special moments together. Sharing recipes, and late-night crafting in the top room of your house, playing games together, and dancing. Arranging and organising mosaic tiles into piles of colour, and untangling yarn knots (which you were always better at than I was). Making one-mug concoctions in the microwave and attempting elaborate baking projects in your kitchen. Sewing and drawing together. Playing rounders in the garden, and sitting next to the pool while you swam in the freezing water.



I’ll always remember the time we spent together as a family. Breakfast at Karin’s house, tea at your mom’s place, shopping in Century City. Family dinners, and baking and crafting together. I’ll treasure the memory of you as my beautiful bridesmaid, and I’m so honoured that we were able to spend that time together.



I’ll never forget the fun we had exploring London too, eating ice cream for breakfast and walking around Oxford Street and the food markets, driving around on the red busses, making pasta together. Spending time with you and Heidi rediscovering bits of London is one of my favourite memories in this big city.



And most of all, I’ll hold you in my heart as my soul sister. You’ve always been more to me than just family, Dale, and that’s why I won’t say goodbye now. You may be gone, but you carry on in our hearts and our memories. I’m going to try my best to pick up those tiny fragments and hold on to the happy times we shared. For now, I’ll say “see you later” instead.

With love, Stacey x

You Might Also Like

4 comments