Wednesday WIP: Spring Sampler

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

It's very nearly - almost - spring. The skies are a bit gloomy, but every now and then a beam of sunlight breaks through and you have to resist the urge to stretch out and nap in the yellow warmth.


Here's something I've been working on. 

It needs a good iron, but it's still very much a work in progress, so let's pretend those creases aren't there.

It's a spring sampler. I drew up a little phrase, mapped out my colours, and started stitching on a beautiful blend of linen I bought for a special occasion. I'm trying to use as many different stitches as possible to get a good variety, worthy of the sampler title.


We've got satin stitch and chain stitch, woven back stitch and short-and-long-rows.


Fern stitch and lazy daisies, back stitch and colonial knots.


French knots, stem stitch, outline stitch and a fancy woven stitch which I like to think of as "pretzel stitch" (in the pink "i" above). It has a very serious name, I'll look it up for you. 

Soon, I'm going to add in the rest of the phrase, a few additional lazy daises and cross stitches, and a bee. Then, when it's just so, I'll frame it in a hoopla, pour out some lemonade, and sit in the garden a bit. Just for fun. Hello, spring.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. it's beautiful! Love the colours, the font, the stitches, wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! I started them in different colours and ripped it out - it had to be full of spring :) really enjoying stitching this!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely lovely. Elizabeth needs to see it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something very satisfying about stitches on linen. It's just up Elizabeth's street! Will have to show her x

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your lovely comments! I will reply to you as soon as I can by email, or here if you are a no-reply-blogger. x