Weekend Sewing

Monday, April 29, 2013


There's nothing nicer than having a few hours all to yourself on a sunny weekend morning. You can do whatever you please. You can switch off your computer. You can play your favourite music as loudly as you like. 


You can bake a little date and apricot loaf to be enjoyed later with a cup of piping hot tea.


You can even start a new quilt.


I've had an idea for a HST (half square triangle) quilt for a while. I wanted to make something with this amazing Karavan FQ bundle. It's a mixture of blues, teals and turquoises offset with olive greens and pale apple green. 


I was tempted to mix it with a range of purples and greens, but I managed to hold myself back. Instead, I decided on a light grey - it's called Ash, by Kona. The Karavan range is a collection of swirls, dots, flowers --- and elephants. Oh the elephants! Ash grey is very appropriate.


After ironing and cutting the fabric into 5" squares, I started piecing them together. Chain piecing HST is really quite clever. You put two squares together, fronts facing each other. Draw a line down the middle diagonal, and stitch down 1/4" on either side of the line. Cut on the line, press open, and ta da! Two HSTs. Neat as a pin. Hopefully.


There's something wonderfully reckless about chain piecing. You never really know if it's going to work out quite how you imagined until you've chain pieced all of the pieces. I took a stack of squares and just went for it. I drew the line, pinned them together, and sew sew sewed. 


It is a wonderful feeling when you cut them, open them up, press them and voila! HST squares. All neat and lined up in a row. 


And then, my few hours were done. Just like that. I have about twenty completed squares made up of HSTs. I have another fifty or so waiting in the wings. Until next weekend.

You Might Also Like

2 comments