Golfing Sundays

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Yesterday was a bit of a disaster. In fact, this past week was a bit of a disaster. I worked until 9pm every night (except Friday, when I had an "early night" at 7pm), but that really started to eat away at my energy and enthusiasm because I started work every day at 8am and didn't get to take any breaks at all during the day. Anyway, disasters aside, yesterday was Yom Kippur and I had the most horrific headache! It was almost as if the whole week didn't happen! G has been such a superstar though, so I owed it to him today to go walk around 18 holes of Golfing Sunday.























We went to Wanstead Golf Course which is quite close to where to we live, luckily. I had to have a good laugh at their Weather Vane (most of you will know why! - - a long history of writing copy for a weathervane company).




Such beautiful colours! I like the juxtaposition; it's almost as if they're two completely different colours instead of being shades of green.


















 





The golf course was absolutely bizarre. It winded all over and around itself, through Wanstead forest, around a lake and through a cricket club. It was a lovely walk, and we got to see loads of wildlife and interesting trees. Ah yes, and there was golf as well.























G was not impressed with his game. But I was very amused.

There were some difficult shots:























And lots of broken tees (usually a symptom of "monster drives"):


















The course had lots of ups and downs, and a lot of stairs to get you there:

There were loads of squirrels running around:


And even a fox!




Can you believe it? This is the third fox I've seen in London. He was just sitting there, watching the golf. Two nights ago, on our way home, we stopped outside our neighbour's house because there was a cheeky fox sitting on top of her garden shed, peeking over the wall and watching everyone walk past! How on earth did it climb up there? We'll never know. They're crafty like that.

Golf courses are the perfect photography locations. There's always something interesting to capture! I was very disappointed that my batteries ran out half way around the greens, but I did manage to get a photograph of this unusual foliage:
What is it?! Is it a thistle? Is it a weed? What is it? I must find out!

All of the holes on the course have different names. I like this one best, but "Peahen Pond" came a close second!
It was a very beautiful golf course, even if the sky was a bit grey. Oh well, that's just England!

This is the lake (there were swans!) but my camera's batteries died just after this. What a pity! There's always next time. ...

You Might Also Like

5 comments