Cake Balls

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Last weekend at the cupcake class, the Lovely Lisa introduced me to the concept of "cupcake pops". A little research led me to USA's Bakerella who has some fabulous cupcake pops and cake balls on her website, featured in her soon-to-be-released book. Long story short, I finally found a recipe and had a go myself.

The results were a bit messy! I had to practice my piping techniques a bit, and also had to try and perfect wrapping cake balls with plastic icing. Not as easy as it sounds!






















But eventually I got it right and made the little pigs that I had been thinking of ever since I saw those Micro Mallows (pictured above)! The tiny cupcakes above really very small: they measure about 2cm across. That gives you an idea of how micro the Micro Marshmallows really are.

They turned out quite well!

We soon had a whole family of pigs, bunnies and pink bees. Oh dear. Very messy business!

I used giant "mushmallows" for the base, walnut cake for the cake balls, pink plastic icing for the piggy bits, micro mallows for the little trotters, and tiny coco balls for the eyes.

There were so many ingredients left over so I started trying to use them all up ...

And when we tried to eat them - just to see why they're so popular - well, it was definitely the taste sensation that everyone had promised! The only problem was that it is all just far too sweet! So now we have all of these cutesy creatures and nothing to do with them! Oh dear.

You Might Also Like

3 comments