Granny Square Crochet Baby Dress

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Another baby birthday, another dress ... but this time it was for the birthday girl, not the baba.

I made the Granny Square Crochet Baby Dress (pattern here), which turned out rather nicely.


The bodice is made up of crocheted granny squares and treble crochet rows, and the skirt is a cotton fabric attached to the hem of the crocheted bodice.

I used Sirdar Simply Recycled Aran in teal for the bodice -  I loved working with this yarn! It has such a nice feel about it. The skirt is a Fabric Freedom music note print.


I followed the pattern and made up 8 squares, but only needed 7 as the squares were a bit bigger in the aran yarn.



I made some changes to the pattern because the neckline was just far too high. It would be fine for an older child, but definitely not a crawling and toddling toddler. I lowered the neckline by one row and added two simple straps that fasten at the back with buttons.


I also added a ribbon around the waist to draw in the bodice in case it was too big. I liked the pattern, but I think that the crochet bit could be a bit shorter. This could make a really nice top for a bigger girl - or mama!


You Might Also Like

3 comments