Cuddly Cephalopods: Stevie the Octopus

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Stevie is the newest addition to our Bakercourt family. She's a raspberry pink octopus.
















Of the knitted variety.
















She has large amber eyes, shaped tentacles and a penchant for knitting needles (especially those dpns which have a charming little glove to keep them warm!)
















I've always had a soft spot for cephalopods. I blame Jules Verne. So, when I saw Hansi Singh's Amigurumi Knits (because, why should crocheters have all the fun?) I knew I had to get it: there was a giant knitted octopus on the front cover in octopus-red and yellow. Also, an angler fish (which may be next!) and promises of aubergines and kraken patterns to follow. What's not to love?

In the picture above you can see the other half of the glove set: it's a woolly hat! They were a gift from my dear friend Anne who sent them all the way from Austria. They're designed to keep needles together, and to keep points protected. Also, they look awesome.
















Stevie is raspberry pink with a burnt orange underside. Each tentacle took around 15 minutes to knit (you make them up using short rows) and the mantle and head took around two hours to knit (although I was distracted by a movie and had to frog the project at least twice when I lost count, or started knitting in the wrong direction thanks to Colin Firth on the telly). I had really wanted to knit this up using teal and lime green but the only yarn shop open at 8pm on Friday Night (when I had to start knitting) was John Lewis - and they only had a pale blue aran yarn that really lacked personality. I decided on the raspberry pink instead, and matched it up with the orange I had in my yarn stash.

You're supposed to stitch on eyes using yarn but I really liked the look of the teddy bear eyes when I saw them in John Lewis. Had To Have. Also, you fill the legs using pipe cleaners and do you know how difficult it is to find pipe cleaners that aren't luminous yellow/pink/red? I decided to get silver, so every now and then the light catches Stevie's tentacles as she pirouettes across the parquet.

Right-o. The banana bread has just come out of the oven and I have a long week ahead. It's time to switch off the computer, put on the kettle, and cosy down on the couch. Happy Sunday, all!

You Might Also Like

1 comments