Animal Alphabet Quilt, Again

Thursday, July 10, 2014

I hadn't forgotten about the Animal Alphabet Quilt. I was just taking a little break while I finished up the Amy Butler Weekender Travel Bag. You know, to keep things interesting. Also, this quilt is a lot of work. Sometimes you just need to put it away for a bit.


I pieced the back using three animal fabrics - turquoise zebras, lime green cows and blue-green chickens. As you do. I laugh every time I see those chickens. Each one is decorated with a pattern (floral, gingham, dots) and there are flowers and teapots in between them.


The pattern calls for a spiral echo quilting fill which is a really tight quilting pattern. I was really reluctant to do it ... I've never quilted anything this big before, I've never attempted the spiral echo pattern before, and I rather liked the way the quilt looks with all the spaces between the animals. 

But. 

I decided to do what the pattern says. 

I got this far, I could take another risk.


It took ages. Ages. Casualties: one tea cup that got knocked off the table while quilting. Also, sore arms, maneuvering the quilt sandwich on a small table. I've now nicknamed my sewing machine the little engine that could. It just chugged along quite happily with only a few minor speed bumps (usually tension related). 


And then

I'd wolf-whistle at this quilt if you could hear it. 


I am so happy with the quilting. It's not perfect, but I love it. 


My absolute favourite part of the whole process? Trimming it down to the right size and getting rid of the messy excess. It actually looks like a quilt now, even though it isn't finished. 


Gratuitous close-up. I still need to weave in all the ends (there are lots, but not nearly as many as when doing the applique stage!), make the bias binding, make a hanging sleeve, attach the binding and lo! done. It might take a while, but that's okay. It looks like a quilt. I feel successful. 


Here are those chickens. Chuckle. 

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Looks absolutely fabulous. You clever, CLEVER lady.
    Karen
    PS thought your bag rather fantastic as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Stacey, the quilting is just perfect! Honestly, you say it's not perfect, but noone is ever going to study it and just look at that texture! You've done an amazing job on this quilt, and done it so quickly too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH. MY. GOSH!!!! This is so AWESOME - I mean utterly AWESOME!! Well done -
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite extraordinary. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacey!

    I'm impressed with the beauty of your quilt!
    Friend, it seems that the fish are jumping, leaping lions! kkkkkkkkkk that funny! and fish bones then? very very beautiful!

    You are very talented!

    Big kiss from Pri

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! I love seeing your progress, and LOVE your quilting! It brings it to life! The backing is so fun, too! This will be so beautiful hanging up!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your lovely comments! I will reply to you as soon as I can by email, or here if you are a no-reply-blogger. x