Animal Alphabet Quilt, Again

Thursday, July 10, 2014

I hadn't forgotten about the Animal Alphabet Quilt. I was just taking a little break while I finished up the Amy Butler Weekender Travel Bag. You know, to keep things interesting. Also, this quilt is a lot of work. Sometimes you just need to put it away for a bit.


I pieced the back using three animal fabrics - turquoise zebras, lime green cows and blue-green chickens. As you do. I laugh every time I see those chickens. Each one is decorated with a pattern (floral, gingham, dots) and there are flowers and teapots in between them.


The pattern calls for a spiral echo quilting fill which is a really tight quilting pattern. I was really reluctant to do it ... I've never quilted anything this big before, I've never attempted the spiral echo pattern before, and I rather liked the way the quilt looks with all the spaces between the animals. 

But. 

I decided to do what the pattern says. 

I got this far, I could take another risk.


It took ages. Ages. Casualties: one tea cup that got knocked off the table while quilting. Also, sore arms, maneuvering the quilt sandwich on a small table. I've now nicknamed my sewing machine the little engine that could. It just chugged along quite happily with only a few minor speed bumps (usually tension related). 


And then

I'd wolf-whistle at this quilt if you could hear it. 


I am so happy with the quilting. It's not perfect, but I love it. 


My absolute favourite part of the whole process? Trimming it down to the right size and getting rid of the messy excess. It actually looks like a quilt now, even though it isn't finished. 


Gratuitous close-up. I still need to weave in all the ends (there are lots, but not nearly as many as when doing the applique stage!), make the bias binding, make a hanging sleeve, attach the binding and lo! done. It might take a while, but that's okay. It looks like a quilt. I feel successful. 


Here are those chickens. Chuckle. 

You Might Also Like

6 comments