Wednesday WIP: Gypsy Blue Quilt

Wednesday, May 08, 2013


I've been stitching up some more HSTs for my quilt, which has now been named the Gypsy Blue Quilt. It's blue. It's made from FQs of Valori Wells's Karavan which full of fun and a bit of magic. The name seems right.


Blues and greys and subtle greens. I've resisted adding in any other colours - although some of the designs have a touch of apple green and purple to balance things outs.


I really like the geometry of this collection - some of them are rigid and haphazard at the very same time, while the others are completely free-form. Cutting them up into neat triangles and putting them in a pattern is like trying to structure the unstructured. It's quite reflexive; I like it.


Each "block" is made up of nine smaller block units - seven of which are made up of HSTs. I have fourteen blocks like this. The plan is put these big blocks in four rows of four, with two in the middle saved for something completely different. Something with grids, elephants and log cabin squares. Just because. 

So far so good, but I am a bit nervous about matching up those points!

You Might Also Like

0 comments