Summer sewing: Tilda Flowerpatch Purse

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Summer is definitely here. The temperatures in Ye Olde London Town have been soaring into the high 20s and I daresay they've reached the low 30s too. The tube has been crammed full of short skirts and water bottles, and there are more sunglasses for sale than ever before. The flowers are out in bloom and people are being Very Cheery Indeed. 


















All of this summer finery calls for a bit of sewing. I'll tell you more about my amazing new sewing machine in a later post, when I get around to clearing up my table and taking a nice photograph for you. Suffice to say, I have a Brand New Sparkling Sewing Machine of the Janome variety, and it's lovely

















Nothing says 'summer' like a bit of fancy Tilda designer fabric (this one is Tilda Flowerpatch Teal). I love the duck egg blue, lime and teal colour combination here, and I especially love that there are hydrangeas in the background. 

















This is a very clever little beginner pattern (from Tilda's Homemade Ideas Magazine, issue 1). You cut out all the purse shapes, sew the bits together, and then stuff the lining inside the purse-y bit to create a flappy, fold-over purse that secures with a light blue toggle.

















Here's the end result. I have no idea what I'm going to use it for. It's quite strong, so I suppose it could be good for keys or coins, but it's far too nice to keep locked away in a bag all day. For now, I'll leave it out on my sewing table (also known as a dining room table) for a bit of cheery colour.

Did you spy the Dottie Doll on the left of that magazine? 

















Here's a close-up of the the flappy bit. The flap opens up in a sort of purse-shaped tube with the lining inside. 

















Lining! Neatly sewed, neatly pressed, toggle-clasped lining. I did that. 

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. And I thought you were busy working! V pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Quisiera saber si por favor puedes decirme donde comprar ese nuevo libro de tilda, soy una gran fans de todo lo de tilda ( puedes comprobarlo en mi blog) y me gustaría si ya está a la venta poder comprar este nuevo libro, como no se inglés voy a usar un traductor, espero que me entiendas y puedas por favor contestarme , te estaría muy agradecida, gracias

    Chelo
    http://elrincondechelo.blogspot.com.es/


    Hello I wonder if you can please tell me where to buy branded this new book, I'm a big fan of all of tilda (you can check it on my blog) and I would like if you are already on sale to purchase this new book, since no English I use a translator, I hope you understand me and please answer me, I would be very grateful, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I found your blog by chance ... Very beautiful! I know you've asked, but he knows where I can buy this new online magazine Tilda? Could you direct me please? I'm following you saw? qdo can make me a visit! hugs! Thank you, Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    I have the same question.
    I'm from Portugal and I can't find this magazine here. Can you, please, tell me how can I order it? Thank you. Best Regards, Manuela Mota

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all! I bought my copy in WH Smith, but I've checked at the Publisher and you can buy the magazine directly from them and they ship anywhere in the world. Here's the link: http://secure3.subscribeonline.co.uk/origin/products.sol;jsessionid=AC86686F6EFB0C8E2E936C8F3EB710B9?mag=TILD&cmp=TILDA12

    @Donna - delighted that you popped by! I have been going through your blog and your Tilda dolls are AMAZING! I can't wait to try one :)

    I hope you all find the mag. If you can't, email me and I'll see what I can do about finding one and posting it to you or sending it digitally xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stacey!!
    I love Tilda´s. Thank´s for the information.

    You have a beautiful blog!!

    Lourdes-Zire

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lourdes-Zire Thanks for popping in. I love your blog too - your mice are TOO wonderful! Tilda has some incredible stuff... I've recently bought her Summer Ideas and Homemade Ideas books, looking forward to more sewing projects soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stacey,

    I would love to have this magazine. I'm anxious to see a I live in Portugal and here I can not find this magazine. You know of any online site that sells this magazine and send it to Portugal? I've tried the site that Stacey left here but I could not buy. Do you can help me? Sweet kiss,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your lovely comments! I will reply to you as soon as I can by email, or here if you are a no-reply-blogger. x