Watermelon Dress (is it too early for Summer?)

Friday, February 17, 2017

I have this rule. It's a silly little rule, but here it is anyway:

I'm not allowed to buy a craft magazine unless I make something from it 

I think it's partially because I don't want to end up with a pile of magazines I've never read, and partially because craft magazines are really quite expensive and I feel that I must justify it to myself when I want to buy one.

Anyway.

So every now and then I see something in a magazine that I love, and I get to make a no-pressure project that has no deadlines and no real purpose other than sheer loveliness. It's a bit like old William Morris. What did he say?

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris

And so this is my latest make: a crochet summer dress that's decidedly watermelon-esque. It's from Simply Crochet, issue 46. Raveled here.


I made it in age 3-4 for little Isla (hoping it would last until Summer because it is definitely not dress weather at the moment!). It has a really charming little yoke construction with a swing skirt and added black watermelon pips/seeds for detailing. It closes at the back with a button or a ribbon.


There were a few bits in the pattern that I wasn't impressed with, mostly because they weren't clear enough and there weren't any diagrams (why are there never any diagrams?!), but thankfully I found a few photographs online which made it a bit clearer to see what they meant. Overall, I like the swing in the skirt, and the basic (but beautiful) yoke construction which I suspect will get a lot of use future projects! I really want to make this into a tutu dress with net tulle for the skirt.


Here's my little chocolate-face modeling her dress that she insisted on wearing while it was still in progress (and wouldn't take it off). I think that's a success.

You Might Also Like

2 comments