Pretty Potholders

Thursday, December 12, 2013


Another project, ticked off the to-do list. This time, two "pretty potholders" I made using NanaCompany's tutorial (here).


I've been making these in stages, a little at a time after work: first, the cutting out of fabric. Then, a few days later, the wadding and the InsulBright. Then, the ruffles, the quilted panels and the pinning. So many pins. Then, the binding. I hand-sewed the binding on the reverse instead of machine-stitching, so it took a little while longer.


My favourite thing about these two quite-different-but-the-same potholders is the details. 


Ruffles, zig zag stitching, puffy square quilting.


A postage-stamp heart.


A charming French label.


Quilted lines, first measured, then drawn in disappearing cross-stitch markers, then stitched. Perfectly square.

And finally, done.

Making gifts for people is always a gamble. Will they love them as much as you do? Will they appreciate how much effort went into every stitch, every fabric piece? I think so.

I've been awful with birthday presents this year, everything has been late - but I'll get there. It's been a funny sort of year, 2013. With only two weeks left in December, I'm spending a lot of time wrapping up - projects, ideas, work. 2014 is already alive with possibilities and energy. It's going to be good.

You Might Also Like

3 comments