Drawing Jane: The Jane Austen Centre

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

It has been a bit of a glum week. The rain has been pouring down, paperwork has been forming itself into giant piles and deadlines are looming ever-closer. 


On the up-side, my planted seeds have become seedlings, I have finished the Airforce Jumper (this one) and it's already mid-week. Also, gifts have arrived.

I have just completed a new set of designs for the lovely Jane Austen Centre whom you've met in a previous blog post here. You may remember my rather simple watercolour drawing of Mister Darcy who was in a rough stage of completion. Well, after a quick wardrobe change and the application of a different angle, here he is:






















He looks like a bit of a sap, I'll admit, but he's smitten and he can't help it. He's no Colin Firth (but then, why would we want to take that away from Mr Firth's filmography?); he'll do. I drew him in sketched pencil, added a watercolour finish and layered on an airbrushed rosy glow. 















I've also completed a rosette design in the same watercolour finish (it has been used in this week's newsletter). And so, having completed yon design set, imagine my surprise when the postman also delivered a little envelope addressed to me.

















And this was inside. Clearly related to my recent submission of finished materials - but oh, what could it be? What's inside the brilliantly blue packet all folded up neatly?

















Ta-da! 

It's a...


















... what's this? An instruction? A declaration? By jove, read Jane Austen! Printed on canvas, it seems. 

Want to see the bigger picture?






















Aha! It's a perfectly printed project bag, declaring - when in doubt, "KEEP CALM AND READ JANE AUSTEN." Who could argue with that logic? Clearly this is the secret to the English stoicism and endurance throughout their world-famous wartime efforts.

Thank you, Jane Austen Centre, it's positively lovely! It's the perfect book bag - although it is already involved in big plans to be used as a knitting bag for my next project. Londoners beware: I may prance around LondonTown all agog with Jane Austen sillyness so that you can share in my enjoyment of my pretty project bag. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments